Wednesday, May 26, 2010

End Of The Road

I have yet to force myself to Monument Square, since the death of 24 year old Eric Benson. Who, happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Early Sunday he was walking in the Monument Square area accompanied by an unnamed female companion. Apparently words were made by three passerby men to the woman, then from there, it just got out of control. One punch to Eric Benson's head and he was dead.

Police have implied that the fact that Eric Benson and his female companion didn't know their attackers, should be more of a comfort to the people of Portland. Since the arrest of William Googins (the puncher), has been made we should all feel safe walking the streets of Portland.

Honestly, that just doesn't make any sense! Actually, the fact that they didn't know their attackers makes me feel all the more uneasy! What if that woman had been walking alone? Would they have still talked to her in the manner they did in those wee hours of Sunday morning? The thought of "what if" just makes my stomach turn.

Actually, the thought that this has happened, period, makes my stomach turn.

I hope William Googins gets everything he deserves. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of Eric Benson. Even more so to the unnamed woman who had to witness his death that night. I have no idea who you are or even what your name is, but I think of you.

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little--but not too long
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me--but let me go.
For this is a journey that we all must take
And each must go alone. It's all a part of the Master's plan
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.

Author - Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment